An FM Synthesis VSTi for the Creation of Microtonal and Xenharmonic Music
Xen-FMTS 2 is a 4 Operator FM Synthesis VSTi with a specialized set of features for computer musicians interested in exploring the vast expressive possibilities of making music with alternative intonation systems. It is a freeware 32-bit plugin instrument for Windows that includes 115 patches, 55 microtunings and 56 partials files.
- Internally loads and externally receives both MTS (MIDI Tuning Standard) Bulk Dump and Single Note Microtuning Files
- Operator ratios can easily be set to values that are coincident with the microtuning being used, thereby producing intonation related sidebands in the timbre of the instrument
- Microtonal pitch-bend ranges may be configured in cents, harmonics and superparticular ratios
- Arbitrary microtonal pitch shifting makes it possible to easily pitch transpose the oscillators in both octave and non-octave increments
- 4 Operator FM Synthesis with Ring-Modulation
- 57 Operator Algorithms
- 11 different Operator Waveforms
- Analog Pitch Drift Emulator
- Transposition by cents offsets
- Partials text files may be used to quantize the frequency ratios of the operators to user specified values
- Velocity-to-Harmonics Modulation enables oscillators to dynamically sound harmonics of the fundamental pitch
- Seven dedicated hybrid modulators for Operators A, B, C, D, Filters, Amplifier and Pitch
- Each modulator includes an ADSR style envelope generator, and an LFO which can be switched to run at audio-rate
- Each ADSR Envelope Generator features Per-Stage Keyboard Tracking
- LFOs can either be synchronized to the host DAW tempo or set in Hertz. They include 24 Waveforms, a Slewer and can be switched to run at audio-rate
- Pre-Filter Saturation Stage with 20 Saturation Types
- Two Independent Filters with Six Filter Types: LP4, LP2, HPF, BPF, BRF, APF
- One and Two Stage Filter Cascade
- Full controller MIDI Pitch Microtuning with MTS (MIDI Tuning Standard)
- MTS Support for both Single Note and Bulk Dump
- Loads MTS Microtuning Format Files Internally and Receives MTS Externally
- Local (Per-Patch) and Global Microtuning (Static Microtuning for All Patches)
- Microtunings can be loaded from any directory on hard drives or storage devices connected to the PC
- 12 Note Polyphonic
- Monophonic Legato Mode
- Monophonic Portamento
- Microtonal Pitch Bend
- Effects include Chorus, Lowpass Filter Cascade (Warm Filter) with 6 dB to 48 dB per-octave filters and Stereo Ensemble
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT XEN-ARTS SOFTWARE
Please note that Xen-Arts software never has been, and never will be, infected with computer viruses; this we promise. If your virus software ever indicates that our microtonal music software has a virus, this is what is known as a False Positive. Contacting the developer of your virus software to make them aware of the false positive is the best solution.
Xen-FMTS 2 Development Notes:This iteration of our popular Xenharmonic FMTS VSTi features many new and exciting enhancements over the original, some of which were suggested by our users and development group:
A common comment about version 1 was that the user interface was too large for small monitors and laptop screens. In response to this user feedback, the interface was completely redesigned making it much smaller than before, which is now at 943 x 652 pixels.
Among the many new features are the Modulators, which include an ADSR-style envelope generator, and an LFO which can be switched to run at audio-rate. There are seven of these dedicated hybrid modulators for Operators A, B, C, D, Filters, Amplifier and Pitch. With the LFOs running at audio-rate, the pitch is controlled by the MIDI-to-CV and the loaded MTS Microtuning file; transforming the LFO into a pitch-accurate microtonal-controlled oscillator, which is in turn capable of introducing microtuning related sideband spectra into the composite synthesizer signal.
In the FM-RM Oscillator section of the synthesizer, randomization and reset features have been added to two of the partials selection pages, as well as the ability to either multiply or divide the pitch of an operator by the selected frequency ratio. The completely redesigned Iso-Index page now includes an Op Rotate feature for rerouting the frequency ratios to other operators.
The Pitch page of the FM-RM Oscillator now features Velocity-to-Harmonics Modulation, where playing force through MIDI velocity is able to break out harmonics of the fundamental pitch. Another very important enhancement in the Pitch section is the inclusion of a full-featured Pitch EG that shares many common features of the other Modulators.
This version of the instrument also features the same versatile filter section that is found in two of our other instruments: Ivor and XenFont.
Please feel free to share your comments, perceptions, experiences - and especially music made with this instrument - either in the comments of this post, or through email.
Music featuring the Xen-FMTS VSTi